Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Bowl with Falafel Sandwich

It’s the 3rd of February and everyone is talking about Super Bowl 2008. Today the Ny giants take on New England Patriots. I was told that TV surfing is banned from 5:30 till 10 o'clock tonight. Since I had to kill time I decided on making something special to eat and bam, It was golden globes aka Falafel. Falafel sandwich is nice, yummy and perfect for a game day. Yeah!! My third consecutive post on deep fried food is about Falafel. With a sandwich and pitcher of iced tea we are all set to hoot for Patriots, yeah we are from New England. Falafel is a very popular Mid-eastern fast food. Apparently it’s sold on every corner in Cairo and is also the most popular fast food there. It’s mainly served in pita bread with lettuce and tahini sauce. Falafel is basically a ball made up of chick peas, fava beans along with herbs and deer fried till they look like golden globes. For the sandwich they are wrapped in pita pockets along with fresh salad, a dollop of hummus and Tahani sauce. I didn’t make tahini completely authentic just a change here and there but the result was stunningly good. Falafels are so crispy and crunchy that you can never get enough of them. The herbs just add the much required kick and Tahini is like "Sone pe Suhaga".I was first introduced to these when I was visiting big apple. I instantly liked this blissful food and now every trip to big apple ends with at least one meal of falafel sandwich. It’s so good that you buy a sandwich and eat it while walking or in the subway. It’s good for a quick and filling bite. We don’t visit the city that often nowadays due to the chilly weather and No time on hand. I was so longing to eat a falafel sandwich that I couldn’t resist but make one at home. In fact it’s been many many days since I went to try cooking mideastern food in my kitchen. I am not sure why I didn’t do it long ago. The first thing I did was hunting for a book on mideastern cuisine. I found the perfect book with really mouthwatering pictures. This is the link to the book. Read it once I am sure you will love it. I had most of the things in my pantry so I started right away. Making falafel requires a little bit of planning since chick peas and fava beans have to be soaked overnight or for at least 8 hours. This sandwich uses Tahini as a condiment. Tahini is basically toasted sesame paste with some flavorful herbs and a few drops of oil. I also tried making tahini at home but did not make a very authentic Tahini. But I really liked this when I used it as a condiment in my falafel sandwich.


Tahini
Ingredients
1 cup sesame seeds
2 Olive oil
salt
4 tbl spn fresh Parsley (optional)

Method: Toast sesame seeds and keep aside till cool down. Blend this in a food processor till it is smooth. Adding parsley is not a part of authentic tahini but I had lots of it on hand and I always clove the taste of fresh herbs. But you would like the really authentic Tahini then skip this.


Falafel
Ingredients 1 cup dried chickpeas
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin seeds ( toasted)
Salt
1/2 tbl spn black Pepper
Oil for frying

Method:
Soak the chickpeas overnight. Boil in a pressure cooker uptil 4-5 whistles. Drain the water. Combine all the ingredients and blend in a Food processor. Do not add water for blending or else you will end up with runny consistency. Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a TT ball. Slightly flatten. Fry till golden brown. Serve Hot.

Hummus
INGREDIENTS
1 cups dry chick pea’s
1 tablespoons tahini
lemons juice from 2 lemons
4 cloves garlic
1 cup water
1 pinch red chili powder

Method: Soak the beans in water overnight. Cook uptil 4-5 whistles in the pressure cooker. When they have cooled, pulse well through a food processor.



Assembling the Sandwich: You will need finely julienne lettuce thinly sliced red onion few cucumber slices a few slices tomatoes Hummus Tahini Falafel Pita Bread Method Take the pita bread, place falafel either whole or break them into a few pieces. Smear some tahini. Add all the fresh veggies, a dollop of hummus. Additionally you can drizzle a little bit of tahini over this. Wrap it in an aluminum foil and you are done!
Super Bowl comes to a nail biting finish with Ny giants emerge victoriously in last 2 minutes But Patriots played very well too.

12 comments:

Asha said...

We watched the complete game but I also cooked the whole morning and afternoon for the game too. It was fun!:))

Siri said...

What a coincidence Pooja, even I made (just) Falafel yesterday and am about to post now.. but, one variation is I made the oven-baked ones.

Hope u enjoied the SUPER BOWL!

Siri

bee said...

those felafels looks perfect. hope you had a great weekend

bee said...

those felafels looks perfect. hope you had a great weekend

Pooja V said...

Asha: I loved the game but NE Patriots lost :(.

Siri: Its a big conincidence cause i tried just 1-2 baked falafels yesterday. I thought i will make them again and post it here.

bee: I had a great weekend :). Btw i also used your tips and pictures arent shaky anymore. thanks B.

Laavanya said...

Those falafels look perfect Pooja and they do make a lovely snack for sure. It's been ages since I made this. I watched the last 10 mins of the game - i think that was the best part. :)

Happy cook said...

Yumm when we were in Egypt for holiday we used to eat them almost in a daily basis.
They are so delicious isn't it

Superchef said...

loove falafel!!! infact, nething mediterranean!! i made devilled eggs and store bought cinnamon buns for the game!! had fun.. :)

Sagari said...

lovely recipe POOJA

vimmi said...

They look so yummy. never tried this. will try it.

Uma said...

Nice post. Shall try them.

Cynthia said...

Your falafel came out perfect! I've saved your recipe to try it.