Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Chole Bhature - Classic weekend brunch



It’s been quite sometime since my last post. I was on a vacation so could not post anything new. I wanted to post something that is my personal favorite. I tried to think real hard on what I like the most (this is really hard since I love tons of things). Finally I came up with goan prawns curry, Fried fish, Xacuti, caramel custard , chole Bhature; I stopped listing more dishes, I got the answer for "Whats new on khanaPina". I am always ready to have chana masala. Everyone at home knows that this is my favorite Punjabi food. I am not a very big fan of tomato gravy based dishes but this one always makes me drool for more.
I love the taste of chick peas drowning in spicy tomato curry. Chole can either be in thick tomato gravy or dry. Needless say I love both the versions equally. Chole is also perfectly goes with all types of Indian flat bread but its best when served it with puris or bhature. This is generally a very good dish if you have guests for lunch /dinner since it’s easy to cook and everyone just LOVES it. …yum !!!
For Chole, Chick peas are cooked with flavorful onions, tangy tomatoes in conjunction with the species give the aroma of heavenly food and it tastes equally good. Just before serving it’s given a citrus drizzle to increase the flavor.
Bhatura is deep fried bread which goes extremely well with chole. These are made of all purpose flour as opposed to puris which are made of whole wheat flour. These taste best when served hot, direct out of the kadai. They tend to get chewy, stretchy when they are not warm. My MIL makes bhatura with addition of some boiled, grated potatoes. This is basically to get a good texture, taste and importantly so that bhature don’t get chewy. Potatoes add a slight flavor while saving the day for you if you want to carry them in Tiffin or for a picnic.
If you order a bhatura in any Indian restaurant than you will be amazed to see the size of bhatura. It is at least 8 inches in diameter. At home I make bhature same size as puris.
This is a perfect dish for weekend Brunch.
Now for the recipe. We will check Chole first followed by bhature.

Chole

Ingredients:
1 cup Chick peas ( soaked overnight)
1 large onion
1 large tomato
1 tbl spn ginger-garlic paste
1 1/2 tbl spn jeera/cumin seeds
1 t spn kasuri methi
3 tbl spn oil
2 tbl spn MDH chana masala powder
½ tbl spn turmeric powder
¼ tbl spn chili powder
1 tbl spn cilantro
½ tbl spn green chili paste
A pinch of asafoedita
Salt to taste

Method:
Boil chick peas with water, salt and 1/2 tbl spn jeera. If you are very fond of onions then add a tbl spn of chopped onions. Cook for upto 4 whistles. Drain the chick peas but DO NOT discard the water. this flovourful water will be used later.
Heat oil in a wok, Add 1 tbl spn jeera/cumin seeds. Chop onions finely and add it to the wok. Fry till they turn translucent. To this add ginger-garlic paste, chili paste. Fry for about 2-3 minutes till its aromatic. Now add chana masala powder, turmeric powder , chili powder and kasuri Methi. Fry for 2 more minutes. Add chopped tomatoes & salt . Cover the lid and let it simmer for 5 minutes. With the ladle press the chopped tomatoes to get consistent gravy. Now add boiled chick peas and drained water. Cook this on very low flame till done.
Serve with Bhature, a slice of lemon, minced cilantro and raw onions.

Bhature

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour/Maida
2 tbl spn yogurt
1 tsp salt
1 tsps ghee
1 tsps sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Oil for frying


Method
Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together.
Heat ghee and add to the flour. Add the yogurt , sugar and warm water. Knead the dough till soft. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a frying pan. In the mean time make small balls out of the dough and roll them, fry in hot oil until golden brown. while frying, press the side of the puris so that it puffs up. The size of my bhature is the same as puris.
Serve hot with chole, raita, finely cut raw onions.

p.s. Bhatura can turn out very chewy, hard etc if oil doesn’t heat up. Do not add rolled puris till oil is very hot. to check if oil is heated enough, drop a small puri ( as small as the nail of the smallest toe). This puri should puff up immediately.

This is the prefect Khana for an early afternoon you want to sit at home on the couch and watch loads of movies, well I did that. As for pina, make some "Mango Lassi".
I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i loved eating it.

27 comments:

Gini said...

Yes, I enjoyed this very much. Reminds me to get some kasuri methi. The combo looks wonderful.

Pravs said...

looks delicious.I used to like the resturant bhature and chole. My mom makes good bhature.

Mansi Desai said...

I agree..chhole bhature is a great brunch item...only i make puris instead of bhatura...saves me some time to do something else on the weekend:)

Priya Dilip said...

your bhature looks just perfect :)

Nags said...

the classic recipe, who can say no to this :)

Raaga said...

yummy!!!

Seena said...

HI Pooja,
thanks for visiting simple and delicious!
your blog name is really attractive!
Nice recipes,may I suggest one thing?
It would be nice if you give labels on side, so we can pick them easily..

archana said...

Nice mouth watering recipe. I too prepare it with MDH masala :)

Asha said...

MDH Pav bhaji is the best! Chana bhature looks mouthwatering, i can't fry right now, but will do as soon as possible:)

Pooja V said...

Gini : Addition of kasuri methi enhances the flavour.

pravs: Moms know everything :)

manasi: WIth Puris or bhature, chole-puri/bhature is a great combo.

priya dilip: Thanks a lot !

nags: i completely agree that no one can say no to this.

seena: thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it, will do it very soon.

archana: Thanks to these off the shelf masalas, its made our lives a little easire. DOnt u agree ?

TBC said...

Very nice dish. Now I can't get chole -bhature out of my mind & it is making me hungry.

sunita said...

Chole bhature is an all time favourite in our house...your's look delicious:)

Latha Narasimhan said...

Nice bhaturas Pooja! I am planning a post on all I prepared from some of the blogs. your bhatura is definitely there!

Pooja V said...

Hi TBC Thanks TBC !! Come over for some classic brunch :)


Hi sunita said...
Chole bhature is never a NO-NO. Thanks :).

Latha Narasimhan said...
Nice idea Latha, I am happy that you loved mine.

Richa said...

aah! chole bhature the ever fav :) can never get enough of it, home cooked or restaurant made ;)

Laavanya said...

Divine combination - chole bhatura + lassi.

Priya said...

Hey Pooja... Tried it out and it was so yummy....Both of them made as per ur recipe and both turned out excellent :) thanks for the wonderful recipes...Keep Blogging...

Prema Sundar said...

love this combo.. thanks for the bhature recipe... was thinking of trying that..

Sreelu said...

Pooja , looks delicious I should try to make bhatura once.thanks for the recipe

Pooja V said...

Hi Richa, u bet !

very true Laavanya. Its almost like ambrosia.

Hi Pri, thanks for the kind words.

Hi Prema, Now u hv d recipe just put on d apron n start rolling fingerlicking bhature.

Hi Sreelu, they look good n tasted equally good.

Jeena said...

Pooja I love this recipe I just want to grab the bread out of your picture ans scoop up those chickpeas! :)

Suma Gandlur said...

Great combo for anytime. Looks yum.

Pooja V said...

Hey Jeena. go right ahead and do it.
you are absolutely true, Its great always !

easycrafts said...

looks yummy...its my favourite too...keep up the good work

Pooja V said...

Hi easy cook, It looks yummy and tastes yummy too. Thanks :).

Shella said...

Pooja

I also always used MDH Chole masala till I came to know the real thing. Check out my recipe on my blog for the chole bhaturas

Pooja V said...

Hi shella; I UST try it out now. Thanks!