Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spinach Swirl Paratha

Spinach, the Popeye food is amongst the popular greens relished all over the world. As a child i was under the impression that it can be only relished by "cartoon characters". I was not fond of green brigade till i started staying in the hostel. The food there was edible enough but i being very fussy didn't like it.

Paratha, a staple with most north indian platters is relished across length and breadth of India. people are generally fond of aloo, gobi, muli. I was tried of eating same food and decided on trying something new all by myself. So far my culinary skills haven't been life threatening so i decided to go ahead with my new dish. I am very creative ( not being a snob or not trying to brag abt me ) i like things which look good and appealing. I know its very unappetising to see some bad , burned food. I have a lot of experience in this since One of my roomie always managed to it. So today we prepare parathas those are treat to our taste buds as well to our eyes. we create a simple paratha but with a swirl design to make it look pretty. So i chose Spinach swirl Paratha. This paratha is not only simple to make but also very healthy and lean. This flat bread is a wheat tortilla with spinach added to it.
This is easy to make and can be cooked ahead of time to be served with the main dish ( gravy/sabzi,dal). You can even serve this with pickle, cucumber raita, mint chutney or anything else of your choice.

Spinach Swirl Paratha ( Spinach swirl Tortilla)




Ingredients:
2 cups Chopped Spinach
2 Cups wheat flour1 tbl Spn oil
Salt as per taste
1/2 tbl Spn cumin ( jeera) seeds powder
1 tbl spn ginger garlic paste
1/2 tbl spn chillies

Method:

Boil Palak upto 2 whistels. Blend this (with minimum water) along with chillies, ginger garlic paste and some salt. Keep aside. Divide the wheat flour into two parts. Take the first part add some salt, 1/2 tbl spn oil and water to make dough. Knead till soft. cover it & keep aside. In the second part of wheat flour mix spinach chutney, salt, 12 tbl spn oil and make it into a dough. Knead it well. keep aside. Let this stand25-20 mins.Now Divide white & green dough in to parts each. Roll each of it, try and make them into similar sizes after rolling it. Stack these in alternate colors. Now roll all this to make a stiff roti.
Roll this like a Frankie/ spring roll( without any stuffing0. Cut it into smaller parts around 2" or whatever size you prefer. Roll these cut pieces into paratha/roti/tortilla. You will see a swirl effect on the paratha. It
looks simply amazing. I was lazy so i made only 2 rotis/tortillas of each color, you could try with more. I am sure the result will be marvellous.
If you want to make palak puris than do not add ginger-garlic to the spinach chutney. They are super delicious.
I was so happy making these, i know its a little more effort but then its rewarding. Try this recipe and let me know the results.

1 comment:

Shella said...

Wow Pooja. I am sorry I didnt land onto your site earlier. You have excellent place here, & I love the way the parathas look.