Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Rainbow Colors - Blue n Indigo

I am back with recipes having next two colors of rainbow i.e. Blue n Indigo. Blue reminds me of Monday Blues at work. When I was working Mondays were the most tiring of all the days especially after lunch coz there is no time for siesta then.
Blue also reminds of the all-boys band blue.

Blue, as color of fruits or vegetables is almost absent except for jamun & blueberries. I love these fruits. My love for blueberries is newly found. I love the tart, sweet taste of blueberries. Jamun have been my favorite ever since I was a child. Jamun is a seasonal fruit and available only in summers. So eating it in large quantities was almost a compulsion. I have a friend ‘S’ and her mom makes Jamun Jam. Imagine you have to de-seed it one by one…whew !!! You would spend the whole day just getting the pulp. But then the prospect of eating home made jamun jam is really rewarding.

I have also enjoyed eating jamun ice-cream at “Shree jee” ice cream parlors in pune. That’s a rare flavor and is not available in most of the ice parlours. The best thing about this is , you can savour it all round the year. They also keep many more delicious flavors that are alien to many of the conventional parlors.
Blueberries, are mildly sweet to tart and tangy. Blueberries are nutritional stars bursting with nutrition and flavor while being very low in calories. Blueberries are at their best from May through October when they are in season all though now they are available almost jan through December. Blueberries are a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, and both soluble and insoluble fiber like pectin. Blueberries are also a good source of vitamin E.

Blueberries at breakfast is great food due to high mineral content and low calories. FarmGirl tells us how to make healthy breakfast bars with blueberries. I absolutely loved it. Its healthy and yummy!!

So far I have eaten blueberries in raw form only. I have also tried eating it with scoops of vanilla ice cream , as part of fruit slad, But my most favourite recipe is Bluberry smoothie. Its an out of the world experience. When I tried it for the first time it was exhilarating . So today I present two simple recipes.

Blueberry Smoothie

Ingredients :
1 cup Blueberries
1 Banana, chopped
¼ cup fat-free vanilla yoghurt
A pinch cardamom powder
Crushed ice


Method:
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve with a few chopped blueberries



Blue berry and apple Raita

Ingredients :

1 cup Blueberries
1 apple, chopped
¼ cup yoghurt
Salt to taste
Sugar a pinch

Method:
Chop blueberries, peaches. Add yogurt , a pinch of salt, sugar. Serve chilled


Tommorow we start with next color GREEN. So far the choice has been very less since very few fruits , vegatbles avaible were in shade of blues n mauves. But green is going to fun. See you tomorrow :)

No comments: